Thursday, July 19, 2012

Settling In


This is a picture of the AC unit in my new bedroom. It has become my new best friend. To say that summers in Beer Sheva are hot is like saying winters in Minnesota are a little chilly. The weather here is ridiculous. That being said, I love everything else about it. I assumed when I moved to the desert that I was saying goodbye to water forever. So imagine my surprise when I learned that my new apartment had a pool (see picture below).


This outdoor patio area is my favorite part of Beer Sheva so far. It's the perfect place to sit at night, cool off, and relax after the sweltering heat of the day. My first night here, I invited my new classmates over to enjoy the oasis. We were introduced to the wildlife of Beer Sheva, which included stray cats, bats, and (my surprise favorite) hedgehogs. One animal they don't have- mosquitoes. The plants were also a big change. Below is a picture of the olive tree that grows next to the pool. Definitely don't have those at home!


Today we get a tour of campus and Shabbat dinner with host families, tomorrow is a pool party and a pub crawl, and Sunday is the first day of classes. Med school here I come!



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your "gills" won't be drying up while you're over there!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete